Friday, December 9, 2011

Breakfast With Scot

2007 Comedy/Drama by director Laurie Lynd
Description:  A former tough guy pro hockey player, Eric, and his lawyer, Sam, who is Eric’s partner, are tasked with temporary custody of a young boy after his mom dies.  Eric is mortified when he discovers that young Scot has a liking for the flamboyant, gaudy, feminine side of things.  While trying to care for and protect Scot from being teased and picked on, Eric unintentionally gives the impression that Scot can’t be himself.  How high is the price of Scot appearing to be a “normal” child?

Review: A really great movie, with a great story, and great actors portraying great characters.  It shows the struggles of both children and grownups and it served up good “it’s ok to be yourself” lessons all around the table. I really like Tom Cavanagh as an actor; I don’t think that I have ever seen him in a bad movie.  I don’t want to say diamond in the rough because that seems too cliché and not quite right.  But how about if I say that it was a treasure buried in a sea of movies and is not likely to show up on a lot of people’s radars.  So if you are reading this, I hope that you will rent this title.  I have not read the book that this movie is based on, but I think that I will have to pick it up; if the movie was this good I can only imagine what the book will be.

My ratings:
Storyline & Plot – 9.5
Acting – 9.5
Comedy – 9
Drama – 9

My favorite quotes:
ü  “Look Sam, You wanna be worried about anything? Worry that that kid’s upstairs singing Christmas carols in October… To himself… By himself.”
ü  “When you’re out in public, watch the twirling, ok?”
ü  “You’re gonna get tall and you voice is gonna change and your face is gonna change and it’ll all be amazingly different.  But it’ll all happen so slowly, you won’t even notice. But I’d notice. I’d notice you. Every day I notice you.”
ü “We're all a little sissy around here."

Lead cast: Tom Cavanagh, Ben Shenkman, Noah Bennett
Supporting cast: Jeananne Goosen, Dylan Everett, Fiona Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment