Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Star Trek

2009 Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi/Comedy by director J.J. Abrams
Description: On the day of James Kirk's birth, his father dies on his ship in a last stand against a mysterious alien vessel. He was looking for Ambassador Spock, who is a child on Vulcan at that time, disdained by his neighbors for his half-human nature. Twenty-five years later, Kirk has grown into a young troublemaker inspired by Captain Christopher Pike to fulfill his potential in Starfleet even as he annoys his instructors like young Commander Spock. Suddenly, there is an emergency at Vulcan and the newly commissioned USS Enterprise is crewed with promising cadets like Nyota Uhura, Hikaru Sulu, Pavel Chekov and even Kirk himself thanks to Leonard McCoy's medical trickery. Together, this crew will have an adventure in the final frontier where the old legend is altered forever even as the new version of it is just beginning. (I liked their description so much that I borrowed it from imdb.com)

Review: Ok, so I should start out by saying that I am not a trekkie per se but have always been a fan of Star Trek and grew up watching the tv shows. But I really enjoyed the opportunity to see the beginnings of our favorite Star Trek characters.  This rendition has edginess that the previous movies and tv shows have lacked.  I was so happy and surprised to see Leonard Nimoy.  Chris Pine’s Jim Kirk is so cocky that it is undeniable that he will grow up to be William Shattner!  There are so many great actors in this movie; I don’t have the space to list them all!  J.J. Abrams did an amazing job!

My ratings:
Storyline & Plot – 9
Acting – 9
Action – 7
Comedy – 7

My favorite quotes:
ü  “Are you out of your Vulcan mind?”
ü  “You got numb tongue? I can fix that!”
ü  “Come with me… Cupcake.”
ü  “Live long and prosper”
ü  “Damn it man, I’m a doctor!”
ü  “I’m giving it all she’s got captain!”

Lead cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana
Supporting cast: Eric Bana, Leonard Nimoy, Bruce Greenwood, John Cho, Anton Yelchin

No comments:

Post a Comment